Wednesday 10 June 2015

A year ago the revieuw of my sister Selina

 As you might know I am from a family with 4 sisters. I am oldest in  line, after me Selina, Stannie and Debbie. We were all born within 5 years, (1975-1980). And nowadays even live in the same village including my parents too. I am thankful for their help and support, 

Posted by Selina on Facebook June 6th 2015 in Dutch below her English version.


"Vandaag een jaar geleden kregen wij 't telefoontje dat Meg een ongeluk had gehad. Die eerste uren van grote onzekerheid of ze het zou halen, de beslissingen die genomen moesten worden op basis van vertrouwen in de artsen. Mijn zus kwam tegelijk aan met ons bij de EHBO waar Armand en mijn ouders al waren. Daar kregen we van de dokter te horen hoe ernstig de situatie was en dat we er rekening mee moesten houden dat Meg het niet zou overleven.
Vervolgens is ze geïnstalleerd op de intensive care. Daar stonden Kim, Armand en Janna aan het bed van Meg en vroeg iemand of er een fototoestel aanwezig was. Mijn zus had haar grote toestel bij zich ..ergens.. in haar tas. Ik heb het toestel gepakt en foto's gemaakt. Toen ik door die lens keek, naar het gezicht van Meg... tranen rollen nu ook weer. Toch heb ik die foto's genomen... de eerste foto's van na het ongeluk toen nog denkende dat het misschien de laatste foto's van hun 4-en samen waren.
De eerste nachten sliep Janna bij mij in bed. Voor zover dat lukte. Ik had uitgebreide gesprekken met haar. Over de situatie, wat het betekende, wat de verwachtingen waren. Daarnaast heel praktische zorgen: het regelen van het eten voor Kim en Armand in het ziekenhuis. Om beurten kookte ik, m'n ouders, buren van Kim en Armand en vrienden.
Het heen en weer rijden met Janna naar en/of van het ziekenhuis. De geplande afspraken etc (tandarts, huisarts) die afgezegd moesten worden voor dit hele gezin. Maar tegelijkertijd ook voor mijn eigen gezin...ook ons leven stond op z'n kop en stil. Eric heeft de 2e nacht bij Meg gewaakt zodat de anderen even konden "bijtanken". Mijn ouders die samen met Kim en Armand de eerste weken de 24-uurs aanwezigheid op zich namen. En nog steeds zeer nauw betrokken zijn bij de zorg en revalidatie van Meg.
Een jaar verder... we zijn nu een familie van "voor en na" het ongeluk met ieder ons eigen verdriet en zorgen en juist daardoor moeilijk met elkaar kunnen delen.
Tuurlijk zijn er ook mooie momenten geweest en zullen ongetwijfeld nog gaan komen. Deze hebben allemaal te maken met de revalidatie van Meg. Ze doet het super!!! Het eindpunt is nog niet bereikt!  



"Today, a year ago we got that phone call that no one wants to receive. We got the message that Meg had an accident. Those first hours of huge uncertainty about whether she was going to make it or not and all the decisions that had to be taken based on trust in the doctors.
Kim arrived at the hospital at the same time I arrived with Janna and my other sister Stannie. Armand and our parents were already there. There we were told about how serious and bad the situation was and that Meg’s chances to survive were really small.

Thereafter Meg was installed at the intensive care. Kim, Armand and Janna were standing at Meg’s bedside and someone asked if somebody had a photo camera. Kim said that she had her camera in her bag… somewhere… I took the camera and wanted to take a picture of them 4 together. When I saw Meg’s face through the lens…. It broke my heart. Now again I have tears in my eyes. But I did take those pictures. The first pictures after the accident while I was thinking that it were maybe the last pictures of the 4 of them together.

The first nights Janna slept with me in my bed… as far as we managed to sleep. I had intense conversations with her about the situation, what it meant, what the predictions were.
Besides taking care of Janna other practical things had to be taken care of: taking care/managing food for Kim and Armand at the hospital. In turn I, my parents, Kim and Armand’s neighbours and friends cooked diner for the them and took it to the hospital.
I drove to and from the hospital with Janna whenever she wanted to go to the hospital or whenever she wanted to leave the hospital. On behalf of Kim and Armand I cancelled all the appointments (dentist, doctor’s, etc.) scheduled for the next 2 weeks. But I also had to cancel the appointments concerning my own family. Our live also turned into a period without any certainties.
My husband Eric stayed with Kim at Meg’s bed during the second night so Kim and Armand and my parents were able to get some sleep as they were awake for almost 36 hours. The first weeks Kim, my parents and Armand were in turn at the hospital making sure that 24/7 a familiar person was with Meg and she was never alone. My parents are still very much involved with Meg’s medical rehabilitation now.

It’s been a year…. Now we are a family “before and after” the accident and we all have our own grief and worries as a result of the entire family-situation and therefor hard to share with each other.
Of course we also had beautiful, good moments and no doubts that there will be much more good, beautiful moments mostly based on Meg’s rehabilitation. She is doing such a great job!!!! Final destination is not in sight yet! x

Selina




1 comment:

  1. It's a year. A tough year for all of you. I see Meg has improved gradually. A sad story is going to more positive with all your love and intensively care. Your family, parents and sisters are bond that help Meg's recovery. Keep up Kim and my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Hi I love to hear from you! please leave a comment in the box below.